In Leroy Ninker Saddles Up Maybelline’s favorite food is spaghetti. Here we share our best recipe for a savory sauce to top any pasta. Serves four (or one hungry horse).
Steve’s Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 15- oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6- oz can tomato paste
- ¼ cup sherry or white wine
- 1 tsp beef stock concentrate such as Better Than Bouillon®
- 7 oz 1⁄2 pkg turkey pepperoni or regular
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Using a microwave-safe plate, arrange 7 oz. (approx. 30 pieces) of pepperoni (or whatever quantity will fit on plate without much overlapping) on top of two layers of paper towels. Microwave at full power for 4 to 5 minutes, watching to make sure the pepperoni doesn’t burn.
- Remove pepperoni from plate and allow 10 minutes to cool, then pulverize in food mill or finely chop.
- Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven or saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Finish this sauce off by simmering meatballs or ground beef in it, then serving over pasta, topping off with freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano cheese.