Advertisement. Click on the ad for more information.
Winding Oak's Bookology Magazine

Skinny Dip with Steve Palmquist

Chinese foodFavorite hol­i­day tra­di­tion?

Well, that usu­al­ly involves food—we try to have Chi­nese food on Christ­mas Eve. Our fam­i­ly has had a lot of changes late­ly, so we’ve been try­ing to cre­ate new tra­di­tions.

Were you a teacher’s pet or teacher’s chal­lenge?

Annunciation SchoolBoth! At times I was a mod­el stu­dent and oth­er times I was the class clown. I’m sure the clown­ing was a bit dis­rup­tive but I only got sent to the principal’s office once. This was at a parochial grade school. The prin­ci­pal was a nun who was about 6′3″. She was a gen­tle dis­ci­pli­nar­i­an but it did sort of seem like her height gave her a direct line to God and all the grav­i­tas that goes with that.

What’s the first book report you ever wrote?

I don’t remem­ber the very first but the one that sticks in my mind was a report for a book about liv­ing in space. I did a hor­ri­ble job with it and was allowed to redo the report. I knocked it out of the park with the sec­ond attempt—that taught me the val­ue of revi­sion.

Do you like to gift wrap presents?

I like the idea of wrap­ping presents but my exe­cu­tion leaves a lit­tle to be desired. Gift bags and a sup­ply of col­ored tis­sue paper have saved my bacon on more than one occa­sion.

What do you wish you could tell your 10-year-old self?

You are going to be loved and cher­ished by some­one who will inspire you to be the best per­son you can be.

Look beyond the hurt that some peo­ple seem to always give—that always gives a clue about where they’re tru­ly vul­ner­a­ble or hurt­ing them­selves.

Keep your mind free and open—it will be your best tool and lead you into many adven­tures.

What three children’s book authors or illus­tra­tors or edi­tors would you like to invite to din­ner?

Oh, gosh, that’s a hard one. If I go his­tor­i­cal, how about Mark Twain, Mar­garet Wise Brown, and Don Free­man?Mark Twain, Margaret Wise Brown, and Don Freeman

Where’s your favorite place to read?

I don’t have that over­stuffed chair from my par­ents any longer. My favorite place to read now is any­where near my wife, Vic­ki, so when­ev­er one of us gasps or laughs at a book, we get to share with the oth­er one.

11 Responses to Skinny Dip with Steve Palmquist

1. Debra Frasier February 17, 2016 at 7:23 pm #

I like imag­in­ing the GASP and read out loud moments!

• Steven Palmquist February 18, 2016 at 8:31 am #

It took me a while to get used to read­ing in a com­mu­nal man­ner. It’s def­i­nite­ly more enjoy­able to share the good moments of a book in an atmos­phere of read­ing.

2. Sandy Palmquist February 17, 2016 at 8:06 pm #

Mod­el stu­dent and class clown — the best com­bi­na­tion!

• Steven Palmquist February 18, 2016 at 8:33 am #

Maybe a bit schiz­o­phrenic but it was great to be able to explore who I was: the go-along, atten­tive stu­dent or the com­ic dis­rup­tor? Still a bit of both, I guess.

3. Fran Bohn February 17, 2016 at 9:28 pm #

The clown­ing part is real­ly you! As far as your IT skills, you are my “go to” per­son to solve my issues.

4. Catherine Urdahl February 17, 2016 at 10:11 pm #

I love that your favorite place to read is any­where near Vic­ki!

• Steven Palmquist February 18, 2016 at 8:35 am #

It’s my favorite place but also the most chal­leng­ing. I think Vic­ki reads about 4x faster than I do. It can be a strug­gle to keep up at times!

5. David LaRochelle February 20, 2016 at 12:40 pm #

What won­der­ful advice to give your 10-year-old self. And I am very hap­py that you and Vic­ki found each oth­er. I want to know what it was you did that got you sent to the principal’s office!

• Steven Palmquist February 22, 2016 at 8:04 am #

I’m afraid that par­tic­u­lar school infrac­tion is lost to the misty annals of time. I imag­ine it was some­thing like not want­i­ng to let go of an audi­ence once I had a group’s atten­tion while doing some­thing fun­ny. I remem­ber that being quite intoxicating…in the mid­dle of ham­ming it up, my sens­es would be height­ened and I’d sort of be watch­ing with an impar­tial part of my brain, not­ing how humor cut across cliques and oth­er dif­fer­ences and how easy it is to lose the train of a comedic riff–or how I could build in a guid­ed, dynam­ic way. Or…I might have been sent to the prin­ci­pal for mak­ing nois­es. I loved exper­i­ment­ing with my voice to see who and what I could imi­tate. I had a good reper­toire of imi­ta­tions until my voice changed!

6. Heidi February 22, 2016 at 7:20 am #

So good to ‘hear’ your voice.