Karen Cushman passed along this recipe from the Cookin’ Canuck with the note that it was just the sort of cold weather meal that would grace tables in the Catherine, Called Birdy world.
Hearty Lentil Soup
Just what Birdy would have eaten!
Write a review
1 hr 5 min
1 hr 5 min
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 4 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan set over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are beginning to soften, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic, smoked paprika and bay leaves and saute for 30 seconds.
- Stir in diced tomatoes with juices, lentils, 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth and 3 cups water. Increase heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Transfer half of the lentil mixture, half of the black beans and 3f4 cup vegetable or chicken broth to the bowl of a blender or food processor. Pulse until combined, but not pureed. It should be a chunky texture.
- Pour the blender mixture back into the lentils in the saucepan, along with the remaining 1 cup of chicken broth and remaining black beans. Stir and reheat over medium heat. Stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Bookology Magazine https://www.bookologymagazine.com/