Reading Ahead recommends McDuff Moves In, a picture book about a rescue dog’s search for a new family, written by Rosemary Wells and illustrated by Susan Jeffers (The Gryphon Press, 2019). This recipe is included in the book and featured here with the permission of the publisher.
Lucy’s Easy Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups milk (whole, 2%, or 1%)
- pinch of salt
- 2 vanilla beans, split open, please do not substitute with vanilla extract
- Following the directions on the package, cook 2 cups of white rice.
- In a sturdy saucepan, combine the warm, cooked rice, milk, 2 split-open vanilla beans, and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring as it heats.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- Stir occasionally, checking that the pudding cooks at no more than a gentle simmer (to prevent burning).
- Cook 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove the vanilla beans.
- The rice pudding can be eaten when still warm or when chilled in the refrigerator.
- Stir in sugar to your taste.