Best Ever Banana Pudding
A Southern-style banana pudding that’s a fitting treat while you’re reading Anita Silvey’s Untamed: the Wild Life of Jane Goodall
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 1−1÷2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz vanilla wafers about 60, divided
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled, cut into 1⁄4″ slices
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In an ungreased 8‑in.-square baking dish, layer 25 vanilla wafers, half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, crush remaining wafers and sprinkle over top.
If you aren’t familiar with Taste of Home, it’s a great source for tried-and-true home cooking. Adapted from Taste of Home